"Consider a porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat.  After broiling, this steak will reduce to almost equal parts fat and protein.  Fifty-one percent of the fat is monounsaturated, of which 90 percent is oleic acid.  Saturated fat constitutes 45 percent of the total fat, but a third of that is stearic acid, which will increase HDL cholesterol while having no effect on LDL...  The remaining 4 percent of the fat is polyunsaturated, which lowers LDL cholesterol but has no meaningful effect on HDL.  In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed.  The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesteropl but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL.  All of this suggests that easting a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly.  The same is true for lard and bacon."
This speaks for itself.

0 Response to "An tour de force quote from Taubes' GCBC"

Post a Comment